Social distancing doesn’t mean social isolation! But studying together online might be a challenge. Here are some tips.
1. Get your group together
- 3-5 classmates who want to achieve a good grade.
- Email your classmates on Carmen to invite them to start a group.
- Schedule recurring CarmenZoom meetings and set reminders.
2. Agree on a study session format
- Discuss your group goals.
- Decide how you will approach each study session (e.g., review study guide from professor, use study questions in your textbook, etc.).
3. Show up prepared
- Be familiar with course material before study session.
- Identify difficult topics or questions you have about the content.
4. Stay organized and focused
- This can be challenging, especially when they are your friends!
- Identify a group leader to identify goals for each session and keep the study session moving toward those goals.
- Take short breaks at scheduled intervals.
- Minimize distractions – put your phone on Do not Disturb/Downtime and minimize irrelevant tabs and apps.
5. Review, review, review
- Do a quick wrap-up at the end of the study session to recap.
- Allow the last 10-15 minutes of the review session to address your progress toward your goals.
- Take note of questions the group has for the professor or TA.