Developed in partnership with the Office of International Affairs, this 2-credit, 7-week course supports the adjustment to U.S. academic culture and helps international students thrive at Ohio State. The course aims to increase students’ confidence using a variety of academic strategies and students’ understanding of why certain behaviors and skills are emphasized in U.S. academic culture.
Offered Autumn and Spring (during the 7-week session).
Spring 2023 Sections of ESEPSY 2060
First 7-Week Session – Begins January 9!
- Class # 13415 | TuTh 9:35 am – 10:55 am (synchronous online)
Second 7-Week Session – Begins March 1!
- Class # 13423 | TuTh 11:10 am – 12:30 pm (in person)
The course covers the following topics:
- Understanding the culture and expectations of higher education
- Expressing original ideas, aloud and in writing
- Intellectual risk-taking
- Standards of academic integrity
- Proper source citation
- When it is appropriate to work with a friend
- Exam-taking behavior
- Research conduct
- Research skills
- Where to find appropriate resources
- Evaluating online resources
- How to incorporate another author’s words into your own writing
- Source citation
- Analyzing instructors’ expectations
- Online course expectations
- Class participation
- Working in groups
- Communicating effectively with faculty and instructors, in person and in writing
- Finding support resources on campus, and seeking help when needed
- Managing time and prioritizing tasks
- Incorporating active learning and critical thinking into study methods