The Dennis Learning Center offers free one-on-one appointments for Ohio State students. Trained in learning and motivation strategies, Academic Coaches help undergraduate, graduate, and professional students examine academic strengths and weaknesses and develop strategies that lead to success.
Common reasons for meeting with an Academic Coach:
- Staying ahead on work and busting procrastination
- Building effective study methods
- Overcoming test anxiety
- Improving test-taking strategies
- Learning more from readings and lectures
- Becoming a confident and resilient student
- Memorizing more information in less time
- Developing a thorough plan for tackling midterms and finals
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go for my appointment?
- The Dennis Learning Center is located on the second floor of the Younkin Success Center, 1640 Neil Avenue [Campus Map].
- Check in at the front desk.
- Enter the computer classroom (Younkin 250) to access your Coach’s office, 250 C, D, E, F, or K.
How do I prepare for the appointment?
- Think about the specific goals you have for setting the appointment and be ready to communicate those with the coach when you arrive. The more clear it is what you hope to achieve by coming to us, the more specific the coach can make their recommendations.
Do I need to bring anything?
- Appointments are personalized to your own concerns, strengths, and weaknesses, so the only things required are your presence and willingness to brainstorm.
- Some students like to get specific feedback on their note-taking, reading, or test-taking methods by bringing in a notebook, textbook, or test. You are welcome to do so, although this is optional. While we do not offer subject-specific tutoring, we are able to give feedback on the strategies you are using in any class or subject.
What can I expect during an appointment?
- The Academic Coach will get to know you as an individual—how have things been going at Ohio State? what classes are you taking? what are your goals? how do you approach your academics and your time?
- Discussion will center on assessing your current strategies, learning about new and effective strategies, and developing a personalized plan of action to help you reach your academic goals.
How do I provide feedback about my appointment?
- We are continually seeking to improve our appointment services. Please share your thoughts with us by completing this brief feedback survey following your appointment.