The DLC offers virtual academic coaching on CarmenZoom.
The Dennis Learning Center offers free one-on-one appointments for Ohio State students. Trained in learning and motivation strategies, Academic Coaches help undergraduate, graduate, and professional students examine academic strengths and weaknesses and develop strategies that lead to success.
Why meet with an Academic Coach?
- Reduce procrastination to stay on track with goals
- Build effective and efficient study methods
- Improve test-taking strategies
- Learn more from readings and lectures
- Become a confident and resilient student
- Build and maintain motivation for studying
- Improve time management skills
- Overcome test anxiety
- Develop a detailed study plan for tackling midterms and finals
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go for my appointment?
- In Autumn 2020, academic coaching will be offered online on CarmenZoom.
- Requests for in-person academic coaching can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. In-person coaching appointments will be subject to health and safety precautions, and will take place in an office in Younkin Success Center.
What can I expect during a coaching appointment?
- The Academic Coach will get to know you as an individual (e.g., How have things been going at Ohio State? What classes are you taking? What are your goals?) and assess your current study strategies.
- The Academic Coach will suggest new strategies and demonstrate how you can use them in your life and work collaboratively with you to develop a personalized plan of action to help you reach your academic goals.
How do I prepare for the appointment?
- Think about the specific goals you have for setting the appointment and be ready to communicate those with the coach when you arrive. The more clear it is what you hope to achieve by coming to us, the more specific the coach can make their recommendations.
Do I need to bring anything?
- Appointments are personalized to your own concerns, strengths, and weaknesses, so the only things required are your presence and willingness to brainstorm.
- Some students like to get specific feedback on their note-taking, reading, or test-taking methods by bringing in a notebook, textbook, or test. You are welcome to do so, although this is optional. While we do not offer subject-specific tutoring, we are able to give feedback on the strategies you are using in any class or subject.
- If you use a planner, it is helpful to bring this to show your coach how you organize your schedule.
How do I provide feedback about my appointment?
- We are continually seeking to improve our appointment services. Please share your thoughts with us by completing this brief feedback survey following your appointment.