ES EPSY 2059
In this 2-credit, 7-week course, you will develop motivation and skills to overcome recent academic hurdles and prepare for success in the future. The purpose of this course is to help you become a self-regulated learner—someone who creates effective plans, evaluates how well your strategies are working, and adapts your approach based on the results you’re getting. You will complete assignments focused on implementing action plans, building resilience, and applying strategies to succeed in your semester as a whole. You will also work closely with your instructor and classmates in an engaging classroom community.
Offered Autumn and Spring (during the 7-week term). Email advisor Peter Spreitzer for help adding the class.
The course covers the following topics:
- Understanding the culture and expectations of higher education
- Getting the most out of resources and support services
- Developing mindsets that build resilience and ownership
- Applying the science of motivation to manage time and overcome procrastination
- Managing stress and increasing well being
- Using research-backed strategies to boost the effectiveness of:
- Reading in college
- Taking notes in college
- Organizing course materials
- Studying and enhancing retention of course materials
- Taking tests in college
- Writing in college